Blue Bunny® Ice Cream - Ice Cream Fun Facts
- Wells was founded in 1913 by Fred H. Wells Jr.
- We are the largest family-owned and operated ice cream company in the United States.
- Wells has over 2,500 employees nationwide.
- We produce over 100 million gallons of ice cream per year. That’s over 250,000 gallons per day!
- It takes over 1.5 billion sticks a year to make our ice cream novelties.
If you placed them all end to end, it would stretch over three times around the earth’s equator!
- There are 70 Blue Bunny® ice cream flavors – what’s your favorite?
- Vanilla is the most popular Blue Bunny® Ice Cream flavor, followed by Chocolate
and Bunny Tracks®. Which flavor of vanilla is your favorite?
We make Vanilla, French Vanilla,
Homemade Vanilla, and All Natural Vanilla!
- The annual tonnage of chocolate ice cream bar coating would cover 47 football fields at a thickness of 1 inch, that’s over 8 million pounds!
- We manufacture ice cream for many national restaurant chains.
- Wells purchases enough strawberries each year to fill over 1 million strawberry pies!
- Wells products can be found in all 50 states.
- The storage freezer at Wells is 12 stories high, a city-block long, holds 53,000 pallets of ice cream and maintains a 20 degree below zero temperature,
making it one of the largest and coldest freezers in the world.
- Blue Bunny uses 1,127,600 pounds of pecans annually, which equals the combined weight of 16 adult Humpback Whales, making our ice cream treats nuttier than ever!
- Stacking the total number of Big Bopper® sandwiches produced in a year would extend over 500,000 feet into
the sky – that’s more than 12 times higher than the flying altitude of commercial airplanes!
- During one of our busiest weeks, 782 loads of ice cream left the city of Le Mars. That’s 4.66 trailers an hour or one trailer every 13 minutes!
- Wells has 3 ice cream plants that produce Blue Bunny frozen products. Two in Le Mars, Iowa and one in St. George, Utah.
- There is more ice cream made in the city of Le Mars than any other one location on earth, making Le Mars, Iowa the Ice Cream Capital of the World®!